Escape 2 Changelog
Changes from v1.6x to 1.7 (1 Jan 2006)
- Version 1.7 is the first Win32 port of E2, it is also the first release
for 8 years!
- Converted the code to run under Win32 using the Allegro game programming
library. The entire game has been ported from real-mode Borland TC v3
for DOS while keeping the look and feel identical to preserve the game's
heritage. This took some doing but its great to play it again.
- Changed the 2 player keys and added full on joystick support for both
players. This works especially well when using PS controllers via a
special PC adaptor!
- Recorded new demos because the file format has changed somewhat (demo
files are now compressed too).
- Added quick save/load F6/F7.
- Fixed a whole ton of bugs and optimised loads of stuff.
- Combined the intro (the scrolling maps and demos are mixed together).
- Basically the game looks and plays the same but is totally different
The saved game and demo file formats have changed which is hardly surprising!
Changes in Version 1.6
- The wave file memory limit is now fixed at 96,000 bytes
- There are 2 new monsters (Auto Laser Defences)
- A lot of levels have been altered
- There are a lot of new sounds
- There are ambient sounds (not for PC Speaker)
- There is no longer a noise at the menu while using PC Speaker
- There are different types of terrain (i.e: snow, grass and mud etc)
- The map file format has changed
- You now how much "cloaked" time you have left
- Doors have tracks underneath them
- The minimap no longer requires a stupid amount of memory
- A lot of numerous bug fixes
- There are 2 new weapons, the Gatling Gun and the Pump
- The weapons feel very different. You now hold down the fire button. Each
weapon's rate of fire is time controlled in real time
- Weapon selecting is different. You now change up and down weapons using
two keys rather than having a key to select each weapon
- There is a different intro
- There are now some 3D spinning dialogs
- Doors close after a while
- There is an "info screen" on the status bar
- Keys are now Access Cards
- The are now radiation leakages about (The nasty green floors)
What follows is not in the beta release and is under construction
- Much improved PC Speaker sound support (wave audio comes out of the
- Fix the 2 player cloak bug
- BAD NEWS:
- The saved game format has changed!
- Demos are no longer compatible!
- There is talk of a version 1.7 with IPX and/or serial multiplayer
support. This may include more than 2 players! (2006 note:
- Version 1.7 may also include sound mixing (2006 note: it does!)
- A 3D version is planned (2006 note: yeah right)
What's new in Version 1.52?
- Improved dialogs and menus
- Loads of new sounds
- Blasts now have owners (this makes the kills count accurate in 2 player)
- A lot of map changes (too many to detail) (there are now 15 maps)#
- There are now different kinds of terrain (grass, snow, mud etc.)
- Removed the count of monsters killed (now just "Monsters Remaining")
- There is now a memory limit for wave files (currently 100,000 bytes)
- Added Up/Down bring back what you typed support on the console
- You can no longer pick up items that have not re-appeared
- The "blast" system has been re-coded. The game does not stop for blasts
Version 1.21 changes
- Projectiles now appear on the minimap
- Players now appear on the minimap
- Players now take each others damage in team games
- Kills are now issued to player 2 in team games
- Disabled to "LaunchGame" console command due to problems
- The sound code is now much better. Most wave files are now loaded into
memory. This makes the sound playback a lot faster.
- Added the "sliding sound"
- Modified some of the maps
- Fixed some problems with the "Shifters"
- Monsters and projectiles can now travel through "Shifters"
There are still problems with the kill count. This also effects the count of the
total monsters on the map. If a monster or players is killed by a projectile it
is known who fired it because all projectiles have an "owner" signature. But
when a player or monster is killed in a blast or explosion there is no
signature. In time blasts will be given owners.
Version 1.2 changes
- Improved the water animation and made it faster
- New menu background
- Sliding menu stuff
- Introduction of "Shifters" (teleporters)
- Added the "shifter" sound
- Disposed of all the unused data files, this makes ESCAPE2.WAK a lot
- 2 new maps (levels 3 and 4)
- Changed "Drop off Point" and "Dark Castle"
- Added the "LaunchGame" console command (undocumented)
- Launching the game has changed a little
- It is now quicker to build a tile colour map so starting the game is
- Added some new vars to ESCAPE2.DEF
- Had a play about with the keyboard code
- Tile animation can now be disabled in ESCAPE2.DEF
- The animation speed can also be changed the same way
- Sorted out the irritating line across the intro/demo screen
- The console now has no green text at all!
- Save games and demos are still compatible.
Version 1.03 changes
- The Green Blobs now fire "green" blobs!
- The new "green" blobs are a little faster!
- Level number is now on the status bar
- Console command help added (use "help .c" in the console)
- When the game is complete the game now actually ends properly
- "MAPTITLES" console command added
- "WARP" console command added
- There is now a defs file ESCAPE2.DEF, have a peek, edit at your own
- The -SLOWRATE parameter has been removed because of the defs file
- Added a menu background screen
- Added an age rating screen
- Added the "READDEFS" console command, this reads the defs file
- Changed the player colour to 14 (yellow) (can be changed in defs file)
- The console is now 50 lines instead of 25
- The console is no longer green
- removed the Head to Head map menu due to problems
- The "Red Blobs" are now "fizzlely" green and called "Blobs"
- The "Green Blobs" are now called "Giant Slugs"
- The "Turrets" ate now called "Armoured Turrets"
- Upgraded the dialogs code, i.e menus, messages etc
- Added another couple of console commands (See "2 Commands Quiz" (below)
- Added some new monster sounds
- When things explode they do not always leave smoke anymore! (for speed)
- All file formats including Saved Games and Demos are unchanged!
- But that may change!
- This should be the final version (except for more maps!)
- The joystick code does still not work properly! You can have a try if
you like at your own risk. The undocumented console command "JVAL" may help.
- Mouse support has been disabled! This caused problems when playing
DOS with no mouse driver installed! The mouse support was useless anyway!
- Running under NT has been found to be odd. The speed of "things" can be
all over the place.
- TWO player games are split screen only! There is no
network/net/modem/serial support. So nobody will ever know!
- The sound code is SLOOOOOW. It reads WAV files directly from disk! Use a
disk caching utility like Smartdrive if you are running the game though DOS.
This ought to speed things up a little. Use SNDSETUP is accordance with the
"SLOWRATE" console command to fine tune the speed. You can use the defs file
to set a "slowrate".
- Beware: Demos eat disk space like there is no tomorrow!