Meteor 2 Change Log
Changes from v1.22 (beta 1) to v1.3
- Greatly improved the game's general stability (this should include the
random in-game crash bug).
- Selecting groups of objects now requires holding down the left shift key
as well as dragging the mouse. This frees up the mouse for general gameplay and keeps the group control out of the way for those who really use
it much (basically group control is a nice feature but it is not designed to
be a mainstream game thing).
- Dropped GIF file support for animations as the "GIF" library being used
no longer works under the current version of the Allegro game programming
library and is not supported anymore. There are also some questionable
legal issues with the GIF file format. Sorry to modders who use GIF
animations, these will be converted to FLC. The "animated texture"
hack used by some modders will not work anymore.
- Survivors (objects added when vehicles are destroyed) are set to active
by default so they wake up even if created off screen.
- When getting out of a vehicle following units will still follow the
- The music no longer restarts when switching maps or loading games with
the same music (this was a bug which appeared in v1.22).
- On the last level the name for the object "Genral Hammondeggs" has been
corrected to read "General Hammondeggs".
- Sounds are now played correctly for all game objects and at all times
(this "silent object" bug appeared in an earlier version).
- Increased the speed of the rotors on me_mantis' "Stingray 2" helicopter.
- Fixed a bug in the Base Alpha script where Cooper was not being made
- Removed some unused code from the North Battle script.
- The plutonium ammo now has a green light around it.
- Guarding units now stay still for random intervals before turning again
(thanks to Mike323 for the suggestion).
- Altered the player car/boat handling to try to make it steered vehicles
more realistic, turning on the spot for cars etc is greatly reduced.
- Added the "crash" console command (don't worry it won't make the game
crash). Works best with base\maps\samples\CrashTest.map!
- Indestructible objects can no longer be run over (for example Cooper on
the Westcorn Village map).
- Added options to game.ini to change the sniper scope lines and
background colours etc.
- Fixed a general timer bug which making things suddenly "jump" every now
and again (most noticeable in the credits).
- Map Editor: Added the sector palette. Right click any sector
and select "Add to Palette" to add sectors, use the "Sector Palette" toolbar
button to pick & place previously added sectors. The sector palette is
saved to disk on exit and is common across all maps.
- Map Editor: Fixed a bug where waypoints were being left connected to
- Map Editor: Fixed a bug where the base sector vertex IDs were not being
assigned on map creation.
- Changed the large font and altered the padding of the main menu.
- Weapon Editor: When selecting a projectile's origin coordinates the
correct weapon is always displayed (even with new weapons).
- Changed the credits so that people appear in bunched up into groups,
also added a backdrop image.
- Spell checked all of the mission briefings, finally.
- The player no longer appears to be moving when riding other objects (for
example, no more walking while riding the motorbike).
- Fixed problems with lasers being duplicated or flickering.
- Sprite Editor: Preview sprite now draws a single sprite in the exact
screen centre, the sprite can also rotated manually using the cursor keys.
- Added "Show FPS" option under Video Options.
- Fixed a general problem were packets were being lost, this solves a lot
of issues on its own.
- When joining a game clients no longer get the kills count of previous
players who have left the game.
- The "No Monsters" option works.
New Script Commands
Changes from v1.21 to v1.22 (beta 1)
- Added basic group control, select units by dragging over them with the
mouse and issue commands such as goto, guard and follow. This only
effects applicable allied units (just like the "E" key to follow mode).
- Changed the script file extension from .sc to .c. This is to aid
script includes and also allows script to be edited properly in conventional
C editors (like Visual Studio or Notepad 2) without any issues or special
configuration. Meteor will look for .sc files too so older map scripts
will continue to work just fine.
- Objects with rotating weapons now only rotate their turrets when in
- Increased the maximum "item count" in multiplayer from 32,767 (signed 16
bit) to 2,147,483,647 (signed 32 bit).
- Minor tweaks to Base Alpha map.
- When saving games the current playing music filename is stored, so
loading the game again will not effect the music playback (even for custom
- Obsolete saved games are now detected correctly. In previous
versions Meteor attempted to load older saved game files which caused
- Fixed game pausing, it now works better than ever!
- Weapon Editor: Fixed a bug which was preventing some of the data in the
list from being updated (sprite image).
- Sprite Editor: When changing a sprite's description the current
description is shown in the box (its not just blank anymore).
- Sprite Editor: When adding a new frame the image picker defaults to the
image of the previous frame (if more than 1 frame exists).
- Map Editor: Added a resize map function (its basic but it works).
- Map Editor: Added "Random Angle" to the sprite right click menu (handy
for placing loads of sprites at random angles).
- Map Editor: After running a map the mouse pointer is placed in the
centre of the screen. This stops the map from always scrolling
downwards when returning to the Map Editor.
- Renamed "mike323323" to "mike323" in the credits.
- Fixed a bug were one (or more in multiplayer) seemingly random placed
object was not appearing at the start of a map. This was happening
during player spawn because Meteor thought the object was an old (wasted)
player and deleted it.
Changes from v1.2 to v1.21
- Moved the teleporters away from the Chinook's flight path on the North
Battle map (it was no possible to finish this map in single player).
- Fixed aiming issues (especially with tanks). Some tanks used to
sit there and just look at you, now they will shoot at you like they are
- When getting on unarmed ride on vehicles (like hoverboards and perhaps
jet skis) the player is moved to the hoverboard instead of the hoverboard
being moved to the player.
- Changed the HTTP master server update code to use ENet, thanks to Lee
Salzman for the sample code. This means that people should be able to
register their servers with no problems.
- Meteor will now run in the background during network games (so its ok to
Alt-Tab out etc).
New Script Commands
- Added the SC_SetPlayerObject script command to change the player's
controlling object (read the script docs).
- This is a minor patch release that fixes some pretty big issues.
- There is still a problem with "enter door password" boxes halting
multiplayer games (so type quickly).
Changes from v1.1 to v1.2
- When clients have trouble spawning, players can now press space to
request another respawn from the server (other keys like Escape for the menu
- Added a master server, tick the option to "register" your server (when
starting a new server) to make it appear on the
- Fixed all of the single player maps to work with coop (the coop campaign should play right through).
- Fixed a problem where client weapon IDs were out of sync with the server
(clients weapons were firing the wrong projectiles etc).
- Fixed a bug where multiplayer clients where not running OnMapStart
- Fixed a bug where some off-screen objects were (seemingly randomly)
being activated at the start of the map.
- Fixed the "map" console command in multiplayer (the server was sending
clients an invalid map path).
- Optimised the object handling code, even though there is still some more
work to be done here there should be considerable improvements in frame rate
- Partly optimised the terrain drawing code.
- Added the SC_ResetObjectRespawnCoords script command.
- Added options to set the player X and Y draw offsets. These alter
where the player object is drawn in relation to the centre of the screen.
This feature is intended for playing on spanned monitors where the player
object should be off-centre to avoid being drawn either side of the
"gap/bezels" between the screens.
- Added an option to set the sound travel distance. This distance should
be increased for very high screen resolutions to allow everything happening
on the screen to be heard properly.
- The "vsync" option is now disabled by default. When enabled this
forces M2 to wait for the next vertical retrace before drawing to the screen
(capping the framerate at the monitor's refresh rate but ensuring the screen
is drawn as a whole in sync with the monitor). On some computers
(laptops?) this was capping the FPS at 20 (some TFTs have true refresh rates
that are far lower then people are lead to believe). If you experience
problems during screen updates then re-enable this option under "Video
- Added the ability to disable terrain textures and shadows to the F9
- Fixed from minor glitches with opening and closing the PDA/menu/console.
- Added some new MP maps submitted by me_mantis (HH_BlackCliffs.map,
HH_CityRemix.map, HH_GeneralJ_Meleev1.map, HH_RedFacts.map and
- Fixed a bug in multiplayer were clients were respawning too many times,
this was creating extra "roaming" player objects with all weapons.
- Dedicated servers will now actually end the level when the time has
- The F9 performance panel will no longer work in multiplayer.
- The default server port is now 5920 (not 5910) to avoid conflicts with
- Moved the server based options to server.ini although there is currently
no command line switch to set the filename to use.
Changes from v1.01 to v1.1
- Added basic multiplayer mode. There are currently two modes (Head
to Head and Cooperative), see the M2 docs for more info on servers and
multiplayer. There are future plans to add more multiplayer game modes
as well as an on-line game servers list. There may be problems with
the later missions in coop mode, these will be addressed in the next patch.
- Added the ability to load mods from the main menu within the game.
Note that mods should have a mod.ini file (see the sample RealWeapons\ mod).
- Added Papercut's "Realistic Weapons" mod which can be loaded from the
main menu, once loaded the entire game can be played in this new mode.
- Added Papercut's Battle Walker object (the smaller version of the Big
Mech from Meteor 1).
- Rewrote the scripting core, this means that script runs faster,
instances don't run out and it can handle child scripts (like when calling
SC_GetInVehicle which in turn called SC_OnEnterVehicle). Before child
script calls made the game crash.
- Mod "cross linking" now works. This means that modded things can
make use of standard game things. For example a modded object may use
sprites from the standard "base" folder. This applies to all game
elements (images, sprites, projectiles, weapons and objects can all
interlink freely between the "base" folder and any mod folder).
- Removed "EnableMultiplayer" from base\game.ini.
- Removed "EnableObjectSkipping" from base\game.ini.
- The "spo" (or "SetPlayerObject") console command has been changed to "spi"
- Added object sprites to the minimap. If preferred people can still
use traditional "blips" or even both (see the in-game options).
- Removed the messages that were displayed when toggling the minimap (for
example "Minimap on" etc).
- Changed the "UseSteering" flag to 0 for turrets in ObjectClasses.ini
(this allows players to mouse aim turrets).
- Added a laser/scope to the long range turret weapons. This is
great for player controlled turrets in multiplayer.
- Removed power up collection console messages (for example "Found a box
of bullets"). The name of the last collected power up is still shown
at the top of the screen for a few seconds along with a picture.
- Map Editor: Moved the mode buttons to the sidebar, this makes the editor
more intuitive and frees up space on the top toolbar for new buttons.
- Map Editor: Added the Shapes button to the top toolbar allowing for
basic shapes to be drawn (currently only ellipses are supported).
- Map Editor: Added the ID button to the top toolbar which toggles the
displaying of ID numbers above objects, sprites, waypoints and lights (easy
ID lookups for scripting).
- Map Editor: Fixed a bug where the current sprite (at the mouse pointer
in Sprites mode) may not have been drawn correctly, this may also have
caused crashes in some cases.
- Increased the maximum particle count from 384 and 768 and suppressed the
"Too many particles" console messages.
- The main menu background now stretches to the correct size regardless of
the screen resolution.
- The last saved video type is now actually used (i.e. Meteor 2 remembers
when it was run in a window for the next time).
- When drawing messages to the screen (main menu and in MP games) it no
longer shows the word "Messages" above the message list. Also the like
on the left does not flash anymore.
- Sounds travel 50% further (you can hear stuff that is further away).
- Boats and planes steer faster.
- The submarine objects are now water objects (not land based), the
underwater missions have been updated accordingly (this all came about
because of multiplayer).
- The Black Ops Sniper trooper no longer drops the sniper rifle, this was
a problem because the player could get this weapon too early in the game
(Warden Rescue mission).
- Added a performance test panel allowing certain features to be
temporarily disabled to test the game's speed on different computers (press
- Added "Markers" in the Map Editor ("Markers" button on top toolbar).
Markers mode toggles Union Jack style lines being drawn across the map to
help editors find the map centre etc.
- Removed the sword as a player weapon.
- Played around with the Sheep Blaster to make it more formidable and well
fun I guess. Great for multiplayer.
- Me_mantis redid the flamethrower to make it more realistic and
- Me_mantis redrew the heavy tank.
- Moved the time remaining display (for timed missions and head to head
games) down to the bottom right of the game screen (status bar).
- Removed the word "Mission" from the status bar on the game screen.
New Console Commands
- net gameinfo
- net players
- net ping
- net id
- net peers
- net ResolvePlayerId
New Script Commands
- GameType (variable)
Changed Script Commands
These have been changed for v1.1, old scripts may need to be updated, see the
editor docs for more information.
Changes from v1.0 to v1.01
- Added five different skill levels (pick one from the menu when starting
a new game).
- Updated the in-game documentation and keys reference.
- Existing saved games from v1.0 will work fine with this version.
To change the skill level for older saved games type "skill x" on the
console (where x is between 0 and 4).
Changes from Beta v1.42 to v1.0
- Totally rewrote all of the collision detection code, this now rotates
rectangles rather than using large binding boxes.
- Object blips on the minimap are now proportional to the object's size
and are drawn in the correct place.
- Updated the timer code which fixes many timer related issues (including
rate of fire).
- Fixed a bug where objects getting killed were sometimes affecting other
- Corrected placement coords of wasted sprites, wasted sprites should be
the same aspect ratio as the object's base sprite for perfect placement.
- Added the "ScriptSymbols" console command (this lists all the functions
in the current script).
- Projectiles no longer move while the game is paused.
- Weapon spray now works for all objects (not just the player).
- Changed the flashlight colour to 75,75,75 by suggestion of Papercut.
- Objects now stop instantly when firing. This was a problem for
objects with slow deceleration (like helicopters) as it caused then to stop
and fire from directly above the target.
- Non player objects can shoot slightly further.
- Power ups animation has been improved.
- game.ini now contains both SpinPowerUps AND HoverPowerUps (use and/or!).
- The powerup slide factor has been changed from 4 to 3.
- When getting wasted on a linked the player restarts the current map
instead of the initial map.
- Added the "closed" sector passable type, this stops anything from
passing (including aircraft).
- Aircraft now rebound off the edge of the map (and "closed" passable type sectors).
- Fixed a bug where objects were being activated too early (before
becoming visible). This was happening when map switching because the
old map window coords were being used to draw the first frame (objects
wakeup when they are first drawn).
- Fixed a bug where boats were drowning when their AI type was set to
guarding. This was happening because "guarding" objects inherit the
"turret" object class which is land based.
- Increased the default map size in the Map Editor from 3000 by 3000 to
5000 by 4000. As people don't tend to change this when starting a new
map, most of the maps that get sent in are quite small.
- When loading a map in the Map Editor the terrain window now centres
around the single player start point.
- Increased the maximum game object count from 768 to 1536.
- Textures displayed in the texture picker are resized down to 96 pixels
where either dimension is larger than 96 (aspect ratios are preserved).
- The mouse wheel can now be used to scroll the pages in all image
selectors (this includes the texture, object, sprite and power up pickers).
- Added 2 new buttons to the angle select boxes for rotating by 45 degrees
to the left and right.
- Fixed the "are you sure you want to exit?" style message in the Map List
Editor (this was typoed as "edit" instead of "exit").
- Removed meteor2.dat and moved the files to base\system, this makes all
data modable (the lot!).
- Moved base\menuback.pcx to base\system\menu\menuback.pcx.
- Moved base\intro.gif to base\clips\intro.gif.
- Removed base\graphics\system\ (side icons went to base\graphics\icons\).
- Changed the default font to 8 point Verdana.
- F1 now displays in-game help rather than going to the main menu.
- Fixed a map sprite animation bug which was preventing placed sprites
- Vehicles with less than 25% health show a smoke trail.
- Tanks turn faster (this provides a smaller turning circle while moving).
- Boats turn slower.
- Vehicle reverse speeds are now defined by their object class (tanks
reverse at full speed, cars at half speed etc).
- You can drive trains! Just be sure to block off each end of the
track (sorry you can't couple coaches together yet).
- TNT now explodes. To script an explosion simply set a TNT object's
hits to 0 using the SC_SetObjectHits function.
- The first (default) sprite will always use the first (default) image (a
- The first (default) object will always use the first sprite (missing map
objects will now be a white box instead of an "airlock" sign).
- The player can no longer move while the game is paused (not sure if I
made this bug while developing this version).
- Added special 50 cal ammo for the 50 cal minigun and made the player
able to use this weapon.
- Added support for 20,000 by 20,000 pixel "mega maps" (20,000 pixels is
the equivalent of 1,250 tiles in Meteor 1).
- Added scaling for the minimap (it will never get bigger than a set size
in either dimension).
- Added a new "Game Option" for the minimap size (1-10), 10 is full screen
width, 1 is 1/10 of the screen width.
- Fixed a bug where deleted verts where not been removed from sectors.
For example if a sector had 5 verts and one was deleted, the sector would
still have 5 verts but 2 of them would occupy the same space (nasty bug!).
The map loader in this version automatically fixes these errors, the "delete
vertex" code has been fixed to prevent any more occurrences. Some
sectors made in older maps (sectors where the same vertex is used more than
once) may be affected, you should check your maps to be sure.
- grass-dry-drk.pcx has been made darker than grass-dry-reg.pcx (these
were the same image).
- Objects can be bound to waypoints in the Map Editor (see Object
- Fixed a bug where the current player weapon was incorrect on maps using
a custom player object.
- Added support for ride on objects (also added the hoverboard). Non
player objects need to be attached to ride on objects using the
SC_PutObjectOnHorse script command (see base\maps\examples\HorseTest.map and
- Added "Set as Default Object" on the object right click menu in the Map
Editor. After selecting a default object all objects placed will be
the same in every way (except ID). This will reset once another object
- When the player is wasted it is no longer possible to scroll around the
map using the cursor keys.
- Sounds now fade when further away.
- Fixed a bug in the bitmap pickers that was causing some of the images to
be missing (images no longer go off the edge of each page).
- Fixed the dragger size on the bitmap picker scrollbars (the dragger used
to take up the whole bar).
- Objects are now drawn at the right angle in the Map Editor (it was
drawing at the specified angle even if "Specify Object Angle" was set to
- Improved player placement when getting out of vehicles (its also harder
to get out on the other side of walls).
- Created new folders (base\graphics\effects and base\sprites\effects) for
storing effect related images and sprites.
- Added muzzle flash sprites to weapons (see "Muzzle Flash Sprite" in the
Weapon Editor). Note that muzzle flash sprites are centred around the
the tip of the weapon, therefore it is often appropriate the leave the
bottom half of each image blank to make the sprite appear at the end of the
- Added multiple projectiles for weapons (i.e. the shotgun fires 10 shot
projectiles with 1/10 of the original damage). See "Projectile Count"
in the Weapon Editor, note that if a "Spray Factor" is set this will
essentially mimic a firing cone.
- Greatly improved the visual appearance of non-seeable projectile lines
(bullet lines). Basically a 1 pixel wide line is taken from
"base\graphics\effects\BulletLine01_01.pcx" (don't get to hung up on
changing the colours in this image as white is "on" and magic pink is "off"
(its just a mask, M2 colours it in). The angle of the line taken from
the image mask is the same as the projectile's angle, the position it
totally random every time. In basic terms the bullet lines are drawn
using a "pattern line", this image provides the tile for that pattern. (Tech
DRAW_MODE_MASKED_PATTERN using random anchors of the images dimensions).
- God mode now works properly in all cases.
- Health power ups can be collected when in or on vehicles.
- The HUD now displays separate health bars for the player and the vehicle
they are in/on.
- Damage (acid) sectors now work. Set the damage amount and time
interval in the sector properties.
- The music does not change when "quick" level switching (this means when
using the console or script commands to run a new map).
- Fixed the standard C functions for scripting (only strcpy actually
worked, the other caused an "dummy instance" error).
- Fixed a bug when loading saved games which was messing up the passable
map (not allowing the player to move after loading the game).
- It is now possible to have shadow roof sectors (these did not work
- Added Papercut's varied power up sounds (these are great).
- Improved texture offsetting in the Map Editor (press the cursor multiple
times, it no longer goes zooming away to some ludicrous value when holding
the key down).
- Added sniper mode support for weapons (hold down the right mouse button
and scroll around). The flag for this is set per weapon in the Weapon
Editor. There is also a laser option (this is always present in sniper
mode). Basically use the scope option for the player and laser for NPC
- Practically rewrote the Weapon Editor, it does not crash on exit
- The player is not constantly prompted to enter access codes for those
"Enter Access Code" sectors.
- Added mechanics and medics. The AI of these objects is controlled
in the Object Editor, there weapons do minus damage values (see Projectile
- Added object following other objects AI. In the game use the E key
to ask objects to follow you or guard. In script use
SC_SetObjectFollow to tell an object to follow any other object.
- The intro video no longer plays on program start. Instead this has
to be picked from the main menu. However great the video is it is
unlikely that people are going to want to watch it every time. Due to
the size of the intro this ultimately improves load speed (you used to have
to wait for video to load even if you "space" or "esc" to skip it).
- Only the textures for the current map are loaded. This saves a
whole bunch of memory and increases the game's initial load speed. Of
course the Map Editor still loads all the textures so it takes a few seconds
to load the editor.
- Added the "MapTextures" console command, this shows all of the currently
- Fixed a crash bug that was occurring sometimes when the player died,
this was quite a technical and complex bug to fix.
- Fixed a crash bug when starting a new game which was connected to power
ups. This was a "sheer coding stupidity" bug which was staring me in
- Fixed a crash bug when starting a new game (in fact whenever
stopping/changing the current music). This was due to a complex memory
- Computer controlled (NPC) objects now reload their weapons from time to
time if their clips are not full.
- Added 2 new console commands IconRecord and IconStop. I will
document these in the docs later. Basically it pumps out 96x96 size
frames of the player to PCX files in the game directory.
- Fixed some issues with certain weapons not reloading properly (not using
clips at all). This was with clip weapons that did not have required
items. It is now fine to now have required items for clip weapons.
- Added a "Centre Weapon on Object" button in the Weapon Mount Editor.
This is handy for turret based weapons that use a laser sight or scope
because the laser always comes from the centre of the object.
- Projectiles now teleport. Also the bullet lines/teleporters thing
has been properly addressed.
- Fixed a bug that was causing special and teleport sectors to be
activated seemingly at random (usually when the player is nearby).
This fix may also resolve some other more minor terrain collision issues.
- Fixed some object targeting issues, these were causing noticeable problems with
turret ranges. Thanks to Dave Man for picking this up.
- Mouse aiming can no longer be used to steer vehicles.
- Vehicle enter and exit sounds can be customised in the object editor.
Thanks to mike323323 for bugging me to get this done.
- The Map time limit (advanced map properties) is now actually saved (this
was not being stored at all). Thanks to Assain for the
- Game data is no longer automatically reloaded after leaving certain
editors. When the data needs to be reloaded a new item appears on the
main menu. Now you can choose when to load the data back in thus
saving load times with multiple edits.
- Fixed a problem where new objects (added during play using script or
when their vehicle was killed) were being given the id numbers of previously
killed objects. This was causing all kinds of strange problems most
notably the duplicate running of OnObjectDie_?? events long after the object
had been killed. Thanks to mike323323 for first bringing this to my
attention back in May.
- Both the "battle" and "storm" weather effects now work (set these in the
Advanced Map Properties).
- Fixed a bug where SC_GameOver was not working properly when the player
was in a vehicle.
- Added quick load/save support (use F6 and F7).
- Finished the entire single player campaign (this took months)!
New Script Commands
- StaticFlags (variable)
- UseMiniMap (variable)
- MapWidth and MapHeight (variables)
- TimeLimit (variable)
Changes from Beta v1.4.1 to Beta v1.42
- SC_BindObjectToWaypoint will now accept a Waypoint ID of -1 to unbind
Changes from Beta v1.4 to Beta v1.41
- Sprites can be added to maps in the Map Editor, this is handy for
setting up previous fire fight scene with loads of wasted sprites. Of
course there are far more possibilities.
- Pressing R (reload) now reloads all weapons when in a vehicle.
- Sector passwords can now be set (i.e. password doors), look in Sector
Properties in the Map Editor.
- Multiple required items are now supported, look in Sector Properties in
the Map Editor.
- Map Editor: The sector damage interval default value has been changed
from 5000 to 500 (5 seconds).
Note that sector damage is still not implemented!
- Fixed object placement detection in the Map Editor, this is especially
noticeable when holding the mouse over rotated objects.
- Fixed keyboard shortcuts on dialog boxes (these were not working at all
in beta v1.4).
New Scripting functions (refer to scripting docs)
- Saved games from previous versions will not work.
Changes from Beta v1.33 to Beta v1.4
This is a major version release with a massive amount of changes, some of
these changes are listed below.
- Added a whole load of new units.
- Added turret support for units.
- Had a go at the menu screen and fonts.
- The briefing viewer has been replaced with the message viewer (this
remembers all briefings and can be manipulated at game-time using script).
- Mouse aiming while moving now works correctly.
- Aircraft are no longer affected by conveyor belts (there is also some
code optimisation here).
- Helicopter rotors spin slightly faster.
- Removed some unused images from meteor2.dat.
- Optimised sector retrieval, this may also fix a problem where sectors
are rarely wrongly detected.
- Fixed a crash bug which occurred while scrolling down in some list
- Fixed a crash bug which occurred when attempting to select a sound name
when no sounds were loaded.
- Fixed a minor bug where the base sector was been rendered one pixel
short of the bottom of the screen.
- The status bar is more transparent making it easier to see the bottom of
the game window.
- The yellow box around the selected weapon (left side weapon bar) is
slightly more transparent.
- The items on the HUD (right side) are now transparent and there are no
longer any boxes around them.
- Radically altered vehicle control, some vehicles have steering and are
controlled differently (i.e. left/right = turn, up/down = forward/reverse).
This needs a little work to get right. Note that boats are supposed to
turn the wrong way in reverse.
- Objects now feature acceleration and deceleration (can be customised in
- You can now run people over in vehicles. This will not work for
people on the same side as you or for different terrain types (yes boats can
run down fish and planes can kill birds - can someone draw me in flight some
birds?). Be careful because you can also be run down by enemy
- Added James Sinha to the credits for supplying some shroud code and
pledging a donation to jbgames.com.
- The player is now placed properly when getting out of a vehicle.
If there is nowhere to place the player then a message is displayed (thanks
to Zable Fahr for message idea).
- Added the "BigScreenShot" console command (takes a screen shot of the
- Normal screenshots (F12) are now written as TGA files instead of PCX,
this process is much faster.
- Object Editor\Weapon Mount Editor: All weapon mounts are drawn (no
longer just the current mount).
- Map Editor: Added "Change Side" to the object right click menu.
- Map Editor: The default shadow offset for roof sectors is now 0 (was
15, 0=not drawn, they look best when added manually as shadow sectors).
- Map Editor: Vertex dragging now updates the minimap.
- Added a new file called "ObjectClasses.ini" in the base folder.
This can be copied into a mod folder and edited to change the general
behaviour of objects.
- Map Editor: Added script commands to to the script help file, this is
very untidy as its just pasted right in from the web page :) , they may also
be slightly out of date!
- Added loads of new script commands and event triggers,
refer to the Meteor 2 docs for more info.
Changes from Beta v1.32 to Beta v1.33
- Added SideId to the sides in base\game.ini. Sides with the same
SideId will not attack each other.
- Added sides for GNV and ROD (aliens).
- Added the SC_SetSideId(int SideNumber, int SideId); scripting command.
SideNumber is the side number to change (0=neutral, 1=allies, 2=enemy, 3=GNV,
4=ROD). SideId is the SideId to set for the side (0 to 127).
- Map Editor: New maps will now set the correct default player object.
- Map Editor: The maximum number of map lights has been increased from 64
Changes from Beta v1.31 to Beta v1.32
I have listed most of the major changes, there are a number of smaller
changes which are not listed.
- Added full mod support (meteor2.exe -base yourmod now works), a launcher
will be available shortly.
- Changed the sides system, these can be defined (along with icons) in
base\game.ini (supports up to 16 sides).
- Objects have side colour coding, all objects are now available to all
sides (you pick the side when picking an object in the Map Editor).
The physical colour coding itself needs some cleaning up.
- Radically overhauled the object folder system (no more allies, enemy
etc, base\objects and base\sprites\objects are flat folders). There
should be very little impact on existing maps (GNV Troopers wont work).
- Map Editor: Added the "Change Object Type" command to the Object
right-click menu, use this to change an object's type while preserving its
ID and other attributes (handy for old GNV Troopers which have become
- Added "Override Name" to map objects (see Object Properties in Map
Editor), this allows you to name all of your map objects individually (you
literally can give them names!). See skybase.map for an example, you can
also set the player object's name in the Advanced Map Properties.
- Added a whole bunch of objects, loads of new troopers of various types
- Added skybase.map (mission 4, use the endlevel console command a few
times to get there in a hurry, Foxtrot is now mission 5).
- Add the SC_SetObjectSide script command (see base\maps\skybase.sc for
- Objects are now rendered fully in the Map Editor and in Object Pickers.
- Sprites in the object and sprites selector grids are now drawn with
sub-bitmaps, they are also always shown at the first frame.
- Map sprites now have individual animation data (makes animated wasted
sprites work correctly).
- Sprite Editor: The sprite image in the Lights Editor was not quite in
right place vertically, this has been fixed.
- Sector textures can now parallax scroll. Note that the sector
coords still scroll the same so this is only really any good for base
sectors or pools of water (when used with a very slight scroll adjustment).
Use the "Scroll Ratio" in the Sector Properties to adjust the ratio, 100 is
normal, 10 is 10% of the normal speed etc.
Changes from Beta v1.3 to Beta v1.31
- Fixed a bug where player ammo was not been deducted when using non-clip
Changes from Beta v1.2 to Beta v1.3
Many changes are not listed, here are most of the more important ones.
- Saved games now work (use F2 and type in a filename to save your game).
- Teleporters now work (set the teleport id for sectors in the Map
- The minimap is now drawn after the lighting effects so its viewing is
not impaired by map lighting.
- Fixed a second key door (it was not actually requiring a key) in
- "Found a bullets" and similar messages now read correctly (i.e. "Found
- Added a new ammo icon on the HUD (thanks to me_mantis for the image).
- The console is new! A totally new console window component has
been written, one major advantage is that it allows the user to type in a
command while messages are being added to it.
- The weapon selection bar and console colours can be customised for mods
- SpinPowerUps has been added to game.ini, enable this (set to 1) in your
mod for Meteor 1 style spinning power ups.
- Multifire (fire in all directions) weapons now work.
- Armour now works (this was not actually enabled before), it is very
- Fixed a crash bug where map lights where not been destroyed when
- If the player picks up a weapon that they already have they now get some
ammo (a bug was preventing this).
- Added a God Mode power up (shades).
- Added objects and projectiles to the minimap.
- The debug build is much much faster.
- Setting a projectile's ammo item to nothing means that no ammo is
required (therefore you can have ammo-less weapons).
- Finally nailed the problem with enemy range and sight etc (this was
still not right).
- Added a bunch of new units including the standard bad guy (red) troopers
and a fencer!
- Added a sword weapon that the player can use (this is a secret level
thing, not for general gameplay!).
- Fixed a crash bug where exiting a level in an unarmed vehicle would
cause the game to crash when starting the next level.
- Some objects (at angle 0) were being placed at angle 255 (1 unit off),
this has been fixed.
- Sprites now animate correctly (many on screen sprites of the same type
will not animate faster).
- Fixed a minor projectile spray factor bug (projectiles where only
spaying to one side).
- Hopefully there should be less crackle with module music playback
(increased playback buffer size).
- Added an XM8 rifle, this is more accurate and has a slightly larger clip
size than the regular machine gun (image by me_mantis).
- The weapon image on the HUD (status bar) is now drawn slightly higher
(helps prevent images from going off the screen).
- Sector/object collision detection has been improved, no more sticking
half way through walls.
- Doors are easier to open (sometimes it was tricky to get close enough),
this is down to improved collision detection.
- When in control of vehicles all weapons are now fired simultaneously.
- Planes no longer change their course or speed while firing.
- Added a bunch of new objects, especially loads of troopers, tanks and
helicopters are on the way.
- Added more action to the Beach Head Map.
- Made some changes to the Swallow Lake and Chemical Plant maps.
- Added a new "mega-map": Base Foxtrot.
- Meteor 2 now uses a newer version of the Fblend library, this may help
the light sourcing/crash bug?
- When doors open the sector's bevel is set to flat (it no longer stays
- All things (objects, power ups, lights etc) can now be dragged (moved)
in the Map Editor when in the relevant mode.
- Fixed a general ID number allocation problem in the Map Editor (things
were getting duplicate IDs).
- Added a Reset/Fix ID numbers feature in the Map Editor's Advanced Map
Tools menu (be careful with this if your script references IDs).
- The frequency of sector damage (the amount that it hurts the player) can
now be set as well as the damage value.
- The Show Passable Colour Coding button in the Map Editor is now working.
- The "P" key was assigned to 2 buttons on the Map Editor Toolbar (now it
just selects Power Ups and not Player Start mode as well!).
- Cancelling any image selector used to return the first image in the
list, this has been fixed.
- The placement of map lights is now more straightforward (centre of light
is placed at mouse coords and lights are always centred around the original
coords after being resized).
- Adding a new sector in the Map Editor now updates the minimap.
- Advanced scripting is now in place (albeit in its infancy), see the
2 docs for more info.
- Textures can now be offset in the Map Editor (Sector mode -> mouse over
sector -> shift + cursors).
- Waypoints now work (you will need to figure it out), generally objects
are bound to waypoints in a script.
- Sectors can set set to indoors or outdoors (default) but don't get too
excited because this data is not actually used (realistically it may never
- Object Editor: Added hurt sound.
- Removed ProjectileMoveStep from game.ini, all speeds are now the
distance moved per cycle (move step).
- All editors now have the common status bar and verbose message output is
- Map Editor: Vertex select box can now dragged up and left as well as
down and right.
- Map Editor: Player start zones now have a transparent fill.
- Map Editor: Sector rotation now works (be careful using this with shared
- Map Editor: Added "Duplicate Light" function, right click on an existing
map light to use.
- Sprite Editor: Improved light editing, changed background to black,
lights can be duplicated, lights show a box when being repositioned.
- Object Editor: Added "Allow Shadow", objects have a small shadow when
rendered, sometimes this is not appropriate as its based on frame 0.
Changes from Beta v1.1 to Beta v1.2
- Objects (units) now have the correct range (so there is less chance of
being shot at from off the screen).
- Fixed the blue key door in the Chemical Plant.
Changes from Beta v1.0 to Beta v1.1
- Fixed object target acquiring (now you get shot properly)
- Fixed mouse aim light not working